May 1, 2014

Me-Made May Pledge

Today I am making my Me-Made May '14 pledge. 

Some of you are probably familiar with this challenge by now, but for those who are not here is the lingo. For the duration of the month of May you are to challenge yourself with either making pieces for your wardrobe or make it a point to wear your handmade items.

Last year I wanted to pledge but was swamped with preparing for our wedding, moving, etc. etc.
But this year I am jumping in with both feet!

I, Katie, of a girl named katie pledge to create pieces to fill in the holes of my wardrobe by making more cake and less icing for the duration of May 2014. 


Let's narrow that goal down a bit to something more specific.
Since leaving my day job to pursue my dream job I have noticed that I have a very limited selection of fashionable tops and skirts. At work I wore a lot of old tshirts, warm "granny" sweaters (as my husband refers to them as), and jeans. I was always cold. Year round.
Any shirt you wore into the place was bound to get holes.
Eventually I just gave up and called it a day.

Recently I have been sewing some fun projects that frankly, have no purpose.
My Olivia Pope dress is awesome, but I have absolutely no idea where I am going to wear it.
But as a wise woman in a fabric store once said "you don't make a dress for the event, you make an event for the dress."

So, loaded with cotton and some tried and true patterns I am going to make some simple blouses and skirts with fun prints for summer. I already pre-washed the fabric!
My goal is to make 3 blouses and 3 skirts.

Are you doing the challenge this year?
What is your pledge?

No comments:

Post a Comment