June 3, 2011

Like a dream come true.

In 7th grade I decided I wanted to be a fashion designer. 
In 9th grade I started looking at colleges. 
By 10th grade I started taking classes to improve my portfolio. 
In 11th grade I took a fashion illustration course at a local college. 
The summer before my senior year I went to Moore College for a month of Fashion Design school. 
(one of the greatest decisions I ever made! I had so much fun and loved every day of it again. 
I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.) 
But during Moore I decided I did not want to live in the city the rest of my life. 
Senior year I decided to do photography instead. 
My first year of college I decided I missed fashion and wanted to do fashion photography. 
After one semester I left school to pursue my own goals. 
It was then that I realized that I missed designing and fashion. 
I began a girl named katie. with goals to eventually expand back into fashion. 
And now, after my life story, I present: The Hokey Croquis! 
What is a croquis? 
It's a fashion sketch of a bare model ready to have fantastic designs sketched all over her. 
I personally hate drawing them. 
(Which is pretty much the reason why I didn't go to school for fashion. 
That and because I like my small town home and cows.
And not going into wild amounts of debt. )
This is a great resource for people who are designers or people who want to be designers. 
But I would honestly suggest learning how to draw them yourself if you want to go to school for it. 
The croquis even disappear when you scan or copy them! 
Which if you have ever done fashion sketches before, you would know how much of a hassle it is to go from a sketch, to a better sketch on tracing paper, to an even better sketch on bristol board and then finally finishing the illustration with color!
But like all things, you should learn all the steps before learning the short cuts. 
Which I only really learned that concept when I started studying photography more seriously. 

I'm definitely considering buying this book, or maybe even making my own fashion sketchbook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment