June 2, 2014

Project: Wedding Dress Complete!

As promised I am sharing some pictures of the wedding dress I made for my cousin's wedding this past weekend! But first, I am going to hold you in suspense (unless you just scroll to the bottom right now, but wait!) by showing you this dress that my momma made me!
It is so pretty and classic I needed one for myself!
We used Vogue pattern 8241. We found a pink knit that is on the mauve side. The material is almost like an activewear knit. It is a super comfortable dress and it breathes! Which is something I was very concerned about for my bridesmaids. We had a July wedding, and knowing it would be hot, I looked for any fabric that could look dressy but would not make them too warm. I was looking for a rayon challis or knit until I came across this one for $1/yd at Fabric Mart! I bought the whole bolt!
She used a hanging button closure at the top of the keyhole. I found a bag of large buttons that looked like pearls at Fabric Mart in the clearance section. Picked them up for 10 cents for the whole bag!
I found the wide lace for the bottom at a thrift shop in packs of 5 yards for a dollar!
I dressed it up with a brown belt, vintage-looking rhinestone drop earrings, and nude heels.


And now, after dozens of fittings, muslins, and hours of pinning and stitching...
Candy's dress!
 Candy was looking for a simple, elegant gown that was vintage-inspired.
She came to me with the idea of an all lace gown with a scalloped neckline and a-line skirt.
She was ultimately looking for something modest and comfortable.
We used Simplicity Pattern 1460 as a guide for the top. 
I used a cotton lace with a swirl pattern in an ivory. I lined the lace with a white poly charmeuse.
I found some floral bridal lace trim to give her the scalloped edge she wanted.
I had to draft the skirt myself so I could get the shape I wanted. The skirt was four pieces that flared out to give her a full bottom that puddled around her. I added four box pleats to the back to make it fuller.
We finished it off with a champagne bow. The dress is fully lined with white poly charmeuse I purchased from Fabric.com for a great price!
The top closes with pearl buttons. I made her veil as well. I had to have a lot of patience glueing on tiny pearl beads with a tweezer! But it was all worth it. She looked gorgeous in this gown!
Congratulations, Candy + Chris.
May you live a life full of love and happiness!
And thank you so much for allowing me the honor to make your gown!
-Katie
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment