February 17, 2014

Project: Bonnie & Clyde Inspired

The next Pattern Review contest is coming up and the theme is Movie-Inspired.
The rules of this contest state that it is not a costume, but something wearable that captures the essence of a movie of your choice.

When the new TV Movie of Bonnie and Clyde came out in I believe December 2013, the Hub and I watched it. They separated it into a two night movie premiere. I am still disturbed by the ending, but I love the vintage fashion. Just before the premiere, Project Runway did a Bonnie and Clyde challenge. This challenge pushed the designers to take these 1930 looks and create something futuristic and high-fashion. Essentially I am challenging myself with the same task for this contest.

I am going to make a daytime look that is inspired by the 2013 movie version of Bonnie and Clyde, taking vintage elements and making them slightly more modern.
image sources: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5

I love these fabrics. The alpaca is gorgeous. I found a yard of it when I was still working at the fabric store in the remnant bin. I had to have it and I was determined to find the perfect ponte knit that would go along with it. After months of checking the store for said knit, I found it! And boy is it perfect!
 I am loving the pumpkin spice color of this cotton print that is so simple and reminds me a little of the 1930's. I think the colors work so well with each other!
Fabric: Ponte Knit and Alpaca for jacket. Vintage Cotton Print for dress.


I wanted a long luxurious jacket out of the alpaca. I found this loose-fitting jacket pattern in my stash and knew it would be wonderful. Maybe even a little Olivia Pope wonderful?! =]
Gosh that women has beautiful coats!
The dress is a fun version of a shirt dress. It has curves in the bodice that make it a little more special than a normal shirt dress. I might need to take in the sides and skirt to make it look better on my frame.
We shall see. 
Jacket C from Vogue 8860, no collar, no hood paired with Burda 7071 dress. 

In other news, I applied to some craft shows this week.
Keep me and the business in your prayers as I wait to hear if I have been accepted.
Thanks!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment